Monday, August 31, 2015
Thursday, August 27, 2015
Put on your pearls girls - it's time for the Autumn Retreat!
To sign up for the Autumn Day Retreat, click on the link below and complete the form. Details are in the form and also below. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Date: September 26, 2015
Time: 9 am to 8 pm
Location: Atonement Lutheran Church, 9948 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS
Price without Meals: $15
Price with Lunch Only: $25
Price with Supper Only: $20
Price with Lunch and Supper: $30
Monday, August 24, 2015
Wednesday, August 19, 2015
Hello KCMQG members!
Our latest guild meeting was held on August 13, 2015 at the Roeland Park Community Center. Our program for the night featured 6 of our members who own longarm businesses.If you missed the meeting or would like to see the quilts again, you can find them in an album on our facebook page. If you missed out on a chance to visit with our fabulous quilters, you can find their information listed below and get in contact with them individually if you'd like:
Jane Bromberg: Custom Quilting KCPage Burns: Fabric RecyclesTia Curtis: Tia Curtis QuiltsStephanie Dodson: Summerwind StudioBecky Fenton: Sew Meant 2BJessica Toye: Jess Toye Quilts
Stuffed Animals Project:
This year we'll be creating stuffed animals to donate to the KCK Police Department. These stuffed animals we will be donating will be taken by police officers and given to children who are in scary situations. This could be domestic violence, car accidents, or any other situation where receiving something special could help a child cope with something that could be very frightening. Kristin Marciniak has started two pinterest boards where you can find patterns or tutorials for projects that would be appropriate for this charity program. KCMQG Plushie Patterns (FREE) and KCMQG Plushie Patterns (Paid). We are planning to collect the stuffed animals twice a year, with the first collection happening sometime in the late fall.
Quilt Con Charity Quilt:
The theme of this year's charity quilt project for QuiltCon 2016 is "Improv with Intent." If you're interested in contributing to this project, make a strata to turn in at the October guild meeting. The rules are:
- Pick one color as your focus. Color choices are: white, off-white, sunflower, tomato red, light teal, grey, and black.
- Create an improv strata with solids and prints.
- Make sure prints and accent colors only include colors in our palette.
- Strata should be at least 12"x12", but can be bigger.
- Make a quilt no larger than 42"x42" inspired by three Clue Cards - a suspect, a weapon and a room.
- We will have Clue Cards to select from at the September meeting.
- There are no sign-ups, so feel free to choose your three Clue Cards on your own.
- Here's a link: http://karencookiejar.
- Reveal will be at the November meeting.
- Participants will be asked to make a One Hour Basket using a given fat quarter as the lining.
- They can make the outside and handles out of coordinating fabric(s). It may be pieced, appliquéd, embellished, or left plain.
- Pattern for the "1 Hour Basket" can be found here: http://www.craftsy.com/
- September meeting: Brown paper bags will be available.
- October meeting: Bring a fat quarter in a paper bag with your name on the bottom and whether you want a holiday or non-holiday basket made for you. Bags will be turned in at the meeting and swapped.
meeting: Bring back finished basket filled with a small gift
($10.00ish). Wrap the whole thing up and include a tag wihich includes To: and From:
Autumn Day Retreat
September 26 at Atonement Lutheran Church in Overland Park (Metcalf and 99th). 9am-8pm.
- $15 for the day, no meals
- $25 for the day with a box lunch.
- $30 for the day with a box lunch & pizza dinner.
January 22-23. Details to follow.
April 8-10, 2016 at Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri. Details and sign-ups to come in January.
SEPTEMBER MEETING & WORKSHOPS
Elizabeth Hartman will be our guest speaker next month. Our regular meeting will be held on September 10th at 7pm at the Hudson Auditorium (found on the second floor in the Nerman Museum) on the Johnson County Community College campus.
Prior to the guild meeting, there will be two workshops at the Roeland Park Community Center with Elizabeth Hartman. There are still openings in both days and you can sign up for either class by following this link. The details for the workshops are:
Workshop 1: Fox and Hedgehog.
- Wednesday, September 9, 5pm-9pm
- Roeland Park Community Center Auditorium
- Pattern required (not included)
- Thursday, September 10, 10am-4pm
- Roeland Park Community Center Auditorium
- Book Required (not included)
8/23: Sewing Day at Modern Makers. 10am-4pm.
9/9: Fox and Hedgehog Workshop with Elizabeth Hartman.5-9pm in the auditorium at the Roeland Park Community Center.
9/10: Patchwork City Workshop with Elizabeth Hartman. 10am-4pm in the auditorium at the Roeland Park Community Center.
9/10: September's Guild Meeting: Elizabeth Hartman of Oh Fransson! will be our guest speaker.
10/18: Sewing Day at Show-Me Quilting. 11am-5pm.
11/6: Kaffe Fassett lecture at the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Find info & buy tickets here.